@drportnay

Follow me on twitter @drportnay for daily thoughts, comments on recent news items and retweets

Thursday, November 14, 2013

New guidelines published

This past week, The American Heart Association and the American Cardiology Association Task Force on Guidelines published 4 very important reports. These included new guidelines for lipid treatment, new guidelines for CV risk assessment, new guidelines for lifestyle recommendations to reduce CV risk and new guidelines on obesity management. I will be writing much more in separate blog posting regarding lipid treatment and CV risk assessment.

I wanted to comment here on continued the emphasis placed on adherence to a Mediterranean style diet in the new guidelines. Those of you who know me and/or have read my blog know that I am a very strong believer in the benefits of the Mediterranean diet on heart health.

Apr 30, 2013
More good news about the Mediterranean Diet -- Researchers from Greece have reported in the journal Neurology that adherence to a Mediterranean Diet can significantly improve memory functioning. You will recall that the ...
Feb 25, 2013
A very important study was published this week in the New England Journal of Medicine. In one of the largest trials to date, the Mediterranean-Style Diet (either supplemented with extra-virgin olive oil/EVOO or handfuls of ...
Feb 25, 2013
Mediterranean Style Diet. Want to read more about the landmark trial showing the benefits of the Mediterranean-Style Diet, check out these articles: http://nej.md/VypTpf · http://onforb.es/15JjoEa · http://nyti.ms/ZDLAIj.
Dec 14, 2009
... Mediterranean Diet: Alcohol. http://blog.drgourmet.com/the-mediterranean-diet-alcohol/. Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry. Posted by Dr Portnay at 12:19 PM · Email ThisBlogThis!Share to TwitterShare to Facebook ...
 
Aug 02, 2009
I continue to be amazed with twitter and its ability to connect peopel of like interests. Recently, I have met Ray Darken and his http://the-mediterranean-diet.com/ website. I love this site and his frequent tweets (@HealthyDietz).
Feb 18, 2010
In countries bordering the Mediterranean Sea, heart disease is less common than in the United States. Researchers believe that foods common to Greece and southern Italy are a major reason for this difference. The February ...
Jun 01, 2011
Beyond just nutritional health, the Mediterranean Diet promotes a way of living that includes the following components, which could explain the positive health benefits. Intense physical activity that includes work and all its ...
 
Although there is a huge upside to the Mediterranean diet, it does not specifically address issues of caloric restriction and weight loss. For this, I tell my patients to focus on whole foods and avoid processed starches. "Eat more like a caveman" I often tell my patients. I also advise patients that need weight loss to simply cut in half what they currently eat in bread, sweets, potatoes, pasta, and rice. I remind patients that patients who are more than 30lbs overweight that they are 300x more likely die from cardiac disease.
 
I hope this helps
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment