@drportnay

Follow me on twitter @drportnay for daily thoughts, comments on recent news items and retweets

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Heart Club - Cardiac Support Group

For some time now, I've been wanting to start a Cardiac Support Group for my patients in Stamford, CT.
 
I've had the oppportunity to be involved in cardiac support groups both at NYU Medical Center (where my wife helped run a CHF support group) and the Heart Club out of St Vincent's Medical Center in Bridgeport, CT.  Both of these were terrific and patients really got a lot out of them.
 
I've recently been thinking about starting the group with the help of Mended Hearts. As stated in their about us on their website "Mended Hearts support groups help people understand that there can be a rich, rewarding life after heart disease. Members listen, share their experiences, learn from healthcare professionals and volunteer to talk to other heart patients about what they may face including lifestyle changes, depression, recovery, and treatment. Annually, Mended Hearts volunteers make 227,000 hospital visits to patients and 30,000 visits to family members and caregivers."
 
This is exactly the type of porgram I would like to start for my patients.
 
Have any of you been involved in a group like this?
 
Are there  of you in lower Fairfield County who would want a group like this?
 
Any thought? - I would love to hear them!!!
 
Please let me know

 

No comments:

Post a Comment