@drportnay

Follow me on twitter @drportnay for daily thoughts, comments on recent news items and retweets

Friday, October 11, 2013

Caffeine and Atrial Fibrillation

THANK GOODNESS

As I lover of coffee, I read a recent report of the lack of connection between atrial fibrillation and caffeine with much relief. Atrial fibrillation is the most prevalent sustained malignant heart rhythm in adults and a leading cause of stroke. 

2 recent studies were published evaluating over 115,000 patients. In the end it was found that caffeine exposure is not associated with increased risk of atrial fibrillation. In fact, low-dose caffeine may even have a protective effect.

I would discuss this finding with your physician but for now, I will continue to drink my beloved dark roast with more reassurance that it is not increasing my risk of atrial fibrillation.

No comments:

Post a Comment