Researchers from Sweden recently reported that five lifestyle factors were each independently associated with a lower risk of MI in men.
- Frequent physical activity (walking or cycling at least 40 minutes per day
- Mediterranean style diet (fruits, veggies, reduced-fat dairy, whole grains, and fish)
- Moderate alcohol consumption
- Not smoking
- Waist less than 37.4 inches
When all five of these behaviors were adhered too, the risk of MI was reduced by 86% compared with individuals who did not adhere to any of these behaviors.
- Diet and alcohol cut the risk by 35%
- Diet, alcohol, and not smoking cut the risk by 64%
- Diet, alcohol, not smoking and exercise cut the risk by 76%
So what does this show - that by adhering to the 5 above behaviors, we can dramatically reduce our risk of suffering an MI