@drportnay

Follow me on twitter @drportnay for daily thoughts, comments on recent news items and retweets

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Doc - What's that on you wrist?

For the past few months, patients have notice and asked me about the device I wear on my wrist.

I have been wearing the Nike FuelBand








This device which I wear on my wrist inspires me to get active by recording all of my acitivity and converting it into a new fitness currency - NikeFuel.  The more active I am, the more NikeFuel I am rewarded with per day. 


What is Nike fuel "Unlike calorie counts, which vary based on someone's gender and body type, NikeFuel is a normalized score that awards all participants equal scoring for the same activity regardless of their physical makeup."

Nike FuelBand users can decide at the beginning of the day what level of NikeFuel I want to reach that day. The Fuelband then displays how close I am  to achieving my goal via a series of 20 LEDs that gradually go from red to green as you approach your target. Specifically, the Nike FuelBand uses accelerometry to record data about your exercise, which it can then relay to you as time, steps, NikeFuel or calories.

I can track my progress on the fly via the LED read out on the band or sync it to my iPhone (wirelessly) or computer and see more detailed information 



I find the device to be a true lifestyle-changer rather than a tradition training watch. 

There are other new fitness tracking devices on the market, each with there own advantages and disadvantages. 

- UP is a wristband and app that tracks how you sleep, move and eat—then helps you use that information to feel your best.
- However, it does not have a visual screen and must be physically plugged into the iPhone

During the day, it tracks steps, distance, and calories burned. At night, it tracks your sleep cycle and wakes you silently in the morning. Just check out the lights to see how you stack up against your personal goal. It’s the motivation you need to get out and be more active.
- However, it does not have a visual clock (which I use frequently)

While these devices are not for everyone, I do find that the device really helps me to stay active. 

If you are wearing one now or get one in the future, let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment